No industry is immune to shady businesses. You know the type: They’re the ones who have no qualms about taking advantage of a client’s desperation or ripping off their customers outright.
And no matter how much pride we at John Falvella Construction Services have in our work, we know that the custom home building industry is no exception. As it is with any trade, we have our fair share of crooked contractors running amok and compromising our reputation.
As a result, many potential home buyers are understandably cautious when it comes to building a custom home from scratch. They aren’t sure of what they should expect or who they can trust.
That’s why we wanted to take a minute and highlight some of the biggest warning signs that you should be aware of. If you encounter any of these behaviors in a prospective home builder, run!
So, here are the top six red flags to keep in mind. Stay away from any custom home builder who:
- Requires an unusually large initial deposit or down payment prior to work;
- Offers a very flimsy contract with few protections, or no contract at all;
- Lacks insurance (leaving you extremely vulnerable and liable for on-site accidents or the builder’s own mistakes);
- Can’t provide a work history or references (signaling an absence of experience and/or satisfied clients);
- Offers a bid that is dramatically lower than all the others (which should be a reminder that you get what you pay for);
- Uses high-pressure sales tactics that make you uneasy (demonstrating that they’re willing to take advantage of you in your time of need).
We hope this helps! And of course, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with John Falvella Construction Services if you have any questions about the custom home building process!